Popular Posts

Sunday, September 29, 2013

My garden plans

I always had a thought of having small backyard garden... But I never really sit and plan it. 

Lil Maryam us having her afternoon nap after we had a visit to some shop in Kota Damansara for water garden ideas. 



So I guess, better get started so in a year time I get to enjoy my tea time with a sound of relaxing water flow sipping the tropical plants smell...

Huuhuhu.. Will I get this realise..??😅😅😅
Lets start choosing a design...

I want it to look like this:
And definitely I need my superhero Saiful to get a look at this cause he'll be the one who responsible to get all pictures to be ALIVE!!!!

Am not a real gardener and I'm not at all time available to water plants... So I'll be bending to get plants which are heat resistance.

Here are some recommended plants from the web:


 Liriopes line the front of the bed, with an occasional variagated liriope thrown in. Croton Petras and Variagate Arboricolas (Trinettes) alternate color combinations, while Hawaiin Ti Red Sisters flank the back in clusters of red spikes. In addition to adding color, all of these plants are drought tolerant after initial establishment, needing water only once a week.
Others suggested tropical plants are as follows:

Hawaiian hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis)
Vireya rhododendron (Vireya cultivars)
Crab’s claw (Heliconia angusta cultivars)
Fijian fire plant (Acalypha wilkesiana)
Giant elephant’s ears/giant taro (Alocasia macrorrhiza)
Elephant’s ears (Alocasia x amazonica)
Prayer plant (Maranta leuconeura ‘Kerchoviana’)
Zebra plant (Calathea zebrina)
Abyssinian banana (Ensete ventricosum)
Crotons (Codiaeum variegatum)
Dancing ladies (Oncidium varicosum)
Canna lilies (Canna ‘Tropicanna’ and Canna ‘Tricolour’)
New Guinea impatiens (Impatiens)
Sago palm (Cycas revoluta)
Spiral ginger (Costus barbatus)
Crinum lily (Crinum pedunculatum)
Sacred Bali bamboo (Schizostachyum brachycladum)
Variegated shell ginger (Alpinia zerumbet ‘Variegata’)
Majestic palm (Ravenea rivularis)

I'll google them later for pictures... I guess, or will the Sg Buloh nursery guys know all these plants?

So I'm done with the design, gathered types of plants needed.. But how do we start a garden????🙀😹

Again.. To mr Google we rush...

Okayyy, today let me start by getting the right tools and allow my hubby Saiful to treat the soil away from weeds...

Tools
After all I only need a few, good quality tools for a small home garden:

Trowel. This looks like a fork to me.One of the handiest garden gadgets, it is useful for transplanting and for loosening soil around plants.

Shovel. Use a round-edged shovel for digging.
  
Spade or spading fork. Use to turn the ground, to turn under organic matter, and to break up large clumps of soil.



Rake. Use to smooth out the soil after spading and after preparing the seedbed. You can also use it for clearing up rubbish and removing small weeds.

Hoe. Use to remove tough weeds and to cover seeds after planting. When turned sideways, you can also use a hoe to dig a V-shaped row for planting.


The hardware guy told me that by following these simple guidelines will keep my tools in good condition:

Clean tools after each use. A putty knife, jet nozzle on a hose or a wire brush is good for scraping off dirt. If tools get rusty, soak them in kerosene for a few hours, then use a wire brush or fine sand to scrub off the rust. Oil them with a light lubricant after cleaning.

Keep cutting tools sharp. The basic sharpening tool for hoes, pruners and shovels is an 8" mill file.
  
Keep tools in a dry place to prevent rust.

Now, we are good to go...

Quote of the day:


No comments:

Post a Comment